Nocturnal leg cramps or night leg cramps are painful muscle contractions or spasms which usually occur during the night. They mostly appear in the lower leg but it can also appear in the feet and thighs. The pain is sharp and severe and can wake you up in the middle of the night.
The cramps in your legs usually last for several seconds but sometimes even for several minutes. The muscle soreness is felt even after the pain is gone. It can even last the following night and the following day.
The cramps appear in both men and women and they usually appear over the age of 50.
Leg cramps vs. restless leg syndrome
Both of these syndromes appear while people sleep, but many people don’t know that they’re very different.
Restless legs syndrome is a neurological disorders characterized by an uncontrollable and overwhelming urge to move your legs. When you move your legs during the RLS, it gives a sense of relief, which is not the case when you have cramps in your legs during the night.
The following are the reason of appearance of leg cramps:
- Some medications
- Standing on concrete floors
- Sitting for a longer period of time
- Certain exercises
- Improper sitting posture
The following are some advices that we will provide you with that will be very helpful in the fight against cramps in your legs:
- Take a warm bath before going to sleep
- Perform some exercises in the water in order to build your leg muscles
- Stretch your legs before going to sleep
- Take more magnesium and potassium
- Take horse chestnut to improve circulation in the legs
- Wear ergonomic shoes
- Place a heating pad to the area where the cramp or pain is feltIn order to cure those muscle muscle spasms and cramps in your legs during the night you may find these helpful:
- Put your both legs in front you while you are sitting on the floor. Then, bend your feet and point your toes toward your knees. You may need to pull on your feet to stretch out better.
- Get up slowly and turn around a bit, because shaking your legs can likewise improve blood flow.
- Carefully rub the region using circular movements.
- Consume a tablespoon of yellow mustard to relieve discomfort.
- You’ll notice that the cramps in your legs disappear very soon!